Top 8 Guest Favorite Balinese Foods
Indonesian multi-diversity applies in various layers – from cultures, languages, arts, traditional costumes, myths and, apparently, local foods. Balinese foods are completely different from the nearby areas. The taste and the presentation are distinct; and the choice of ingredients is unique.
As a tropical island where spices and rice grow fruitfully, Bali has myriads of exotic, finger-licking foods, varied from main courses to traditional snacks. As exotic as it can be, here’s a list of most favorite Balinese cuisine.
1. Sate Varieties
Sate or Satay is a well-known dish in Indonesia. Every region has different ‘version’ of sate. It is a marinated, skewered and grilled meat, served with various kind of sauce (according to the type). In Bali, there are various kinds of sate – from sate babi (pork satay), sate lilit (minced coconut with meats – chicken, fish, or pork – satay), or the nationwide phenomenon, sate ayam (chicken satay). While traditionally served with peanut sauce, sate in Bali is also served with spicy sauce.
2. Ayam/Bebek Betutu
Betutu is an iconic Balinese food, in which a whole chicken or duck is marinated and st￭ with traditional spices, wrapped in banana leaves. The end product is an oily and juicy chicken/duck meat with strong taste inside and outside. Betutu is a slow-cooked exotic cuisine that defines traditional Balinese flavor.
3. Babi Guling
Babi Guling or suckling pig is people’s favorite. It used to be the dish of festivity, but now it is an island-wide cuisine that can be found anywhere and anytime. The pork is slowly rolled over and grilled on fire, hence the name (guling means ‘to roll’). The hardened skins are the most favorite; the meat is juicy and tasty; and there are some other pork cuisines, which once again define Balinese flavor.
4. Nasi Campur
Nasi Campur is the definition of one-stop cuisine. It’s a self-contained mix of foods – an instant pick if you’re clueless of what to order but you want to taste Balinese savor. This delight contains of rice served with many different Balinese best; it might be a bit of pork or chicken dish, mixed vegetables and tropical sambal. It’s a complete dish in a plate.
5. Nasi Jinggo
Nasi Jinggo is Balinese fast food – a simple, quick version of nasi campur. People sell nasi jingo late at night or early in the morning; therefore, you can always find it anywhere.
Lawar is a traditional mix containing chopped meat, grated coconut and spices. It is usually served with rice and babi guling; and it should be served fresh. There are many kinds of lawar which is different in every region. In some regions, there is red lawar, which is made with blood.
7. Tipat Cantok
Tipat Cantok is the Balinese version of Yogyakarta’s lotek or West Java’s tahu bumbu. It’s made of mix steam vegetables with rice cake and peanut sauce. It’s rarely found in restaurants, you need to go guerilla to small street food stalls.
Serombotan is Balinese traditional vegetable salads served with coconut chili sauce and spicy sauce. This salad is fresh and succulent; and you might expect robustness and local taste of coconuts.
Taste the Balinese flavor in a way you want it; however, there’s a small tip for everyone. Tell the sellers if you don’t want the food spicy because Balinese foods are usually spicy.
When in Bali, do what Balinese does, and eat what Balinese eats. Let Sun Island Bali take care of the rest.
Sun Island Bali Group operates the website www.sunislandbali.com, www.sunislandkuta.com, www.whiterosebali.com, www.sunislandboutiquevillas.com,www.sunislandlegian.com
- These Legal Notice of Online Sale apply to all reservations and purchases made online.
- The site enables users to reserve rooms and supplementary services in all Sun Island Bali hotels and villas property.
- The Guest confirms that he/she has read, understood and accepted these Terms and Conditions of Online Sale.
The Guest shall respect the below process:
- To find a hotel or a villa, to select a check-in and a check-out date, to select a room and rate;
- To select, when needed and/or available, additional services;
- To check the reservation details, the total price including taxes and the applicable hotel’s policies and sales conditions related to the selected rate;
- To inform the Guest details;
- To read, understand and accept the Terms and Conditions of Online Sale;
- To confirm the reservation;
- To Guarantee the reservation;
- To pay for the reservation (when requested only).
- The Guest reservation is subject to an acknowledgement of receipt by email.
- The email shall summarize the dates, the services reserved, the prices, the address of the hotel concerned, the hotel’s policies related to the selected rate.
- The Guest shall provide his/her bank details as a guarantee of the reservation using a valid credit card The Guest attests to the truth and accuracy of the information submitted for this reservation purposes.
- Each rate booked at Sun Island Bali Group property, is subject to a Cancellation Policy. Failure to check in on the reserved arrival date will incur a penalty charge as detailed in the Cancellation Policy.
- To process with the payment the Guest shall inform:
His/her credit card number;
Its expiration date;
Its card verification number (csv).
- The Guest attests to the truth and accuracy of the information submitted for this payment purposes.
- The confirmation of reservation constitutes an electronic signature equivalent in value to a physical signature between the parties. The Guest acknowledges and agrees that he/she has read, understood and accepted the sales conditions related to the selected rate.
This web site and the related web sites contained herein (collectively, the "Site") make available information on hotels, villas, and other transient stay facilities (each a "Property") owned, managed or franchised by Sun Island Bali.
In order to provide multiple access points to the services and products we offer, any one of these websites may ask for and collect personally identifiable information in order to enhance your experience and provide you with relevant information. Those websites, including:
- www.sunislandboutiquevillas.com, and
When using the Online Reservation and Online Registration you may be asked to provide a credit card number and its expiration date. Other information may be collected are: (i) reservation or information requests, (ii) purchasing products or services, (iii) responding to communications from us (e.g., surveys, promotional offers, or reservation confirmations), (iv) including collecting publicly available information from social networking web sites, We do not sell, rent or share any of your personal information with any other party including any third-party joint promoters, nor use it for unapproved commercial purposes.
You should be aware that information and data is automatically collected through the use of 'cookies' to obtain information about you while visiting our websites. A cookie is a very small text file that is sent to your browser from a web server and stored on your computer's hard drive. Sun Island Bali cookies assign your computer with a unique identifier, which in turn, becomes your identification card whenever you return to Sun Island Bali websites. These cookies are limited to Sun Island Bali websites only, and are not designed to follow you when traveling on the Internet and will not remember your email address.