A Guide to Balinese Names
The enchanting world of Bali might get reflected in many aspects and forms. From the cultures, the arts, the nature, the beaches up to the local people bear unique enchantment of the island. As soon as you meet the locals and get familiar with them, you will find out that the fancy Balinese culture manifests even to the most personal identity of the people: their Balinese name.
Balinese names are unique as they root down to the culture and social phenomenon that has been inherited from generations to another. Typically, Balinese names are characterized by the use of four birth-order-related names and, further, identifier of caste systems.
Normally, you will find people with these birth-order names around Bali, but not without exception.
While Wayan (which literally means ‘oldest’) might be the most common name for first born children, there are other names given to the first born, such as Putu, Gede and Ni Luh (only for female).
Made (which is believed to be derived from the word ‘madya’ meaning ‘middle) is a common second born children’s name. Yet, there are other names, too, to indicate second-borns regardless of the sex, i.e., Nengah, Ngurah and Kadek.
Third born children are named Komang or Nyoman (which is believed to have been derived from the word ‘anom’ meaning ‘young’ or ‘little’)
Fourth born children are named Ketut – which might be believed to be derived from the word ‘ketuwut’ meaning ‘to follow’. However, people also believe that it might also be a derivation of ancient word ‘kitut’ meaning smallest banana at the end of the bunch.
In the ancient time, Balinese people practiced a traditional (and also ‘social’) birth control system, which might not encourage people to have more than three children, hence the names. However, if a family has more than four children, the cycle repeats from the beginning; therefore, fifth child might be named Wayan and the sixth might be named Made.
Sun Island Bali Group operates the website www.sunislandbali.com, www.sunislandkuta.com, www.whiterosebali.com, www.sunislandboutiquevillas.com,www.sunislandlegian.com
- These Legal Notice of Online Sale apply to all reservations and purchases made online.
- The site enables users to reserve rooms and supplementary services in all Sun Island Bali hotels and villas property.
- The Guest confirms that he/she has read, understood and accepted these Terms and Conditions of Online Sale.
The Guest shall respect the below process:
- To find a hotel or a villa, to select a check-in and a check-out date, to select a room and rate;
- To select, when needed and/or available, additional services;
- To check the reservation details, the total price including taxes and the applicable hotel’s policies and sales conditions related to the selected rate;
- To inform the Guest details;
- To read, understand and accept the Terms and Conditions of Online Sale;
- To confirm the reservation;
- To Guarantee the reservation;
- To pay for the reservation (when requested only).
- The Guest reservation is subject to an acknowledgement of receipt by email.
- The email shall summarize the dates, the services reserved, the prices, the address of the hotel concerned, the hotel’s policies related to the selected rate.
- The Guest shall provide his/her bank details as a guarantee of the reservation using a valid credit card The Guest attests to the truth and accuracy of the information submitted for this reservation purposes.
- Each rate booked at Sun Island Bali Group property, is subject to a Cancellation Policy. Failure to check in on the reserved arrival date will incur a penalty charge as detailed in the Cancellation Policy.
- To process with the payment the Guest shall inform:
His/her credit card number;
Its expiration date;
Its card verification number (csv).
- The Guest attests to the truth and accuracy of the information submitted for this payment purposes.
- The confirmation of reservation constitutes an electronic signature equivalent in value to a physical signature between the parties. The Guest acknowledges and agrees that he/she has read, understood and accepted the sales conditions related to the selected rate.
This web site and the related web sites contained herein (collectively, the "Site") make available information on hotels, villas, and other transient stay facilities (each a "Property") owned, managed or franchised by Sun Island Bali.
In order to provide multiple access points to the services and products we offer, any one of these websites may ask for and collect personally identifiable information in order to enhance your experience and provide you with relevant information. Those websites, including:
- www.sunislandboutiquevillas.com, and
When using the Online Reservation and Online Registration you may be asked to provide a credit card number and its expiration date. Other information may be collected are: (i) reservation or information requests, (ii) purchasing products or services, (iii) responding to communications from us (e.g., surveys, promotional offers, or reservation confirmations), (iv) including collecting publicly available information from social networking web sites, We do not sell, rent or share any of your personal information with any other party including any third-party joint promoters, nor use it for unapproved commercial purposes.
You should be aware that information and data is automatically collected through the use of 'cookies' to obtain information about you while visiting our websites. A cookie is a very small text file that is sent to your browser from a web server and stored on your computer's hard drive. Sun Island Bali cookies assign your computer with a unique identifier, which in turn, becomes your identification card whenever you return to Sun Island Bali websites. These cookies are limited to Sun Island Bali websites only, and are not designed to follow you when traveling on the Internet and will not remember your email address.