Celebrating Indonesia Independence Day in Bali
America has Fourth of July, while Australia has Australia Day; Indonesia also has a day to equal those most celebrated national day, called Indonesia Independence Day or Hari Kemerdekaan Indonesia.
Republic of Indonesia celebrates the Independence Day every August 17. To celebrate it, people are adorning every corner of the streets across the country with national colors—red and white—which resemble Indonesian flag. Idyllic nationalism vistas are everywhere, flags are waving, patriotic songs are echoing, and parades are marching on.
In Bali, the celebration is peculiarly unprecedented compared with other regions in Indonesia. Involvement of foreign tourists, who are craving to experience this once-in-a-year cultural event, makes the celebration utterly different in the Island of Gods.
These are things to do to celebrate Indonesia Independence Day in Bali in order to fully embrace the festivity.
01. Flag Raising Ceremonies
On August 17 morning, students and govt officials attend flag ceremony in which Indonesian red-and-white flag is raised high soaring the sky. Usually, there are some parade and defile of special team to raise the flag.
An official flag raising ceremony is also held in State Palace in Jakarta, where Indonesian President would deliver Independence Day speech. This ceremony commemorates the moment when Indonesia first proclaimed the independence and is always screened on national television.
Best places to partake in such events are schools and city square in Denpasar, in which most govt offices are located.
02. Participating in Neighborhood Competitions
Following the flag ceremonies, people usually gathers around some public spaces in their neighborhood for fun, friendly competitions. The competitions may vary, but mostly they are unique. From high-energized sack races to appetizing kerupuk (crackers) eating contest; from sarong-dressed soccer to the wild pillow fight; all those competitions offer tons of funny moments, especially for first-timers. While most competitions are restricted to particular age, some are open for public of various ages, origins, and genders. Best places for this are around traditional villages or local banjar.
03. Witnessing or even Participating in Panjat Pinang by the Beach
Bali’s most famous beaches—from Kuta to Seminyak—are also a great destination to participate in Independence Day competition. Panjat pinang is still the most interesting one. In panjat pinang contest, participants are challenged to climb lube-laced pinang (some kind of palm tree) trunk in which certain high-valued prizes are hung at top of it. Not only the pole is slippery and greasy, but it is also towering high, making it a challenging task. You can witness one or even participate in one if you happen to visit the nearby beaches.
04. Enjoying Indonesian Historical Films
Indonesian finest historical and patriotic films are usually screened on local television channels during Independence Day. Biopic of Indonesia’s first president, Soekarno (in Hanung Bramantyo’s Soekarno), or other national heroes like Tjokroaminoto (Hanung Bramantyo’s Soekarno), Cut Nyak Dhien (Eros Djarot’s Tjoet Nja’ Dhien’) and others are also worth a shot. If you’re into more action, Yadi Sugandi’s Merdeka Trilogy is also a great choice to brush up your knowledge about Indonesian history with high-amped action sequences as bonus.
05. Seeking for Local Cuisine
While there are lots of celebration and festivity for one day, the best part of Independence Day is actually the food. Lots of restaurants or cafés promote Indonesian-themed cuisine on this day with finest Indonesian authentic dishes. From Rendang (CNN’s #1 of World's 50 Most Delicious Foods list) —traditional marinated beef with spice paste; Nasi Goreng a.k.a. traditional flavored fried rice; to Tumpeng —a cone-shaped rice surrounded by assorted Indonesian dishes, there are myriads of choice to savor on the most celebrated day.
Sun Island Bali Group operates the website www.sunislandbali.com, www.sunislandkuta.com, www.whiterosebali.com, www.sunislandboutiquevillas.com,www.sunislandlegian.com
- These Legal Notice of Online Sale apply to all reservations and purchases made online.
- The site enables users to reserve rooms and supplementary services in all Sun Island Bali hotels and villas property.
- The Guest confirms that he/she has read, understood and accepted these Terms and Conditions of Online Sale.
The Guest shall respect the below process:
- To find a hotel or a villa, to select a check-in and a check-out date, to select a room and rate;
- To select, when needed and/or available, additional services;
- To check the reservation details, the total price including taxes and the applicable hotel’s policies and sales conditions related to the selected rate;
- To inform the Guest details;
- To read, understand and accept the Terms and Conditions of Online Sale;
- To confirm the reservation;
- To Guarantee the reservation;
- To pay for the reservation (when requested only).
- The Guest reservation is subject to an acknowledgement of receipt by email.
- The email shall summarize the dates, the services reserved, the prices, the address of the hotel concerned, the hotel’s policies related to the selected rate.
- The Guest shall provide his/her bank details as a guarantee of the reservation using a valid credit card The Guest attests to the truth and accuracy of the information submitted for this reservation purposes.
- Each rate booked at Sun Island Bali Group property, is subject to a Cancellation Policy. Failure to check in on the reserved arrival date will incur a penalty charge as detailed in the Cancellation Policy.
- To process with the payment the Guest shall inform:
His/her credit card number;
Its expiration date;
Its card verification number (csv).
- The Guest attests to the truth and accuracy of the information submitted for this payment purposes.
- The confirmation of reservation constitutes an electronic signature equivalent in value to a physical signature between the parties. The Guest acknowledges and agrees that he/she has read, understood and accepted the sales conditions related to the selected rate.
This web site and the related web sites contained herein (collectively, the "Site") make available information on hotels, villas, and other transient stay facilities (each a "Property") owned, managed or franchised by Sun Island Bali.
In order to provide multiple access points to the services and products we offer, any one of these websites may ask for and collect personally identifiable information in order to enhance your experience and provide you with relevant information. Those websites, including:
- www.sunislandboutiquevillas.com, and
When using the Online Reservation and Online Registration you may be asked to provide a credit card number and its expiration date. Other information may be collected are: (i) reservation or information requests, (ii) purchasing products or services, (iii) responding to communications from us (e.g., surveys, promotional offers, or reservation confirmations), (iv) including collecting publicly available information from social networking web sites, We do not sell, rent or share any of your personal information with any other party including any third-party joint promoters, nor use it for unapproved commercial purposes.
You should be aware that information and data is automatically collected through the use of 'cookies' to obtain information about you while visiting our websites. A cookie is a very small text file that is sent to your browser from a web server and stored on your computer's hard drive. Sun Island Bali cookies assign your computer with a unique identifier, which in turn, becomes your identification card whenever you return to Sun Island Bali websites. These cookies are limited to Sun Island Bali websites only, and are not designed to follow you when traveling on the Internet and will not remember your email address.