Saraswati Day in Bali
Saraswati Day is celebrated once every Balinese 210-day lunar year, taking the name from the Hindu goddess of knowledge, music, art, wisdom and learning. To pay tribute to the sacred day, the Balinese place offerings in temples and homes, and pray, asking for blessings for their holy texts, books, and any sources of knowledge and learning.
The Balinese ceremony is celebrated twice a year according to the Balinese calendar. There are several meanings of Saraswati. The word Saraswati is derived from the words “sara” and “swaandthi,” which means the one who gave the core meaning, and the one who already knows. Saraswati can also be defined as the one that flows as a river of knowledge, which means that those who are willing to study and learn, will gain wealth and enlightenment within themselves.
The goddess Saraswati is the symbol of knowledge as she controls thoughts and words. She is described as a beautiful woman who has 4 arms, and holds scriptures, rosary beads and plays a zither, each symbolizing a different meaning but is still connected to the characteristics of knowledge. Her beautiful face illustrates how interesting knowledge can be; the zither represents art; the scriptures show how knowledge can lead to enlightenment; and the rosary beads represent spirituality and dedication. Saraswati also sits or stands on a lotus leaf, with a goose and a peacock as means for transport. These also have significant meaning; the lotus leaf symbolizes that knowledge can be found in any given situation ; the goose represents that knowledge can be used to filter good and bad habits and the peacock represents beauty; together with the goose they become a vehicle to deliver knowledge given by god.
Saraswati day is celebrated by the Balinese making offerings and praying, either at home, at school, at the office or at the temples. Offerings are also put on books and scriptures as they are the main sources of knowledge. At the temples or at home, the Balinese also celebrate it by praying and singing holy songs and spells from Hindu scriptures until late at night. Students usually learn about making offerings, singing holy songs, dancing traditional dances and any other religious activities before the Saraswati day so they are prepared and know what to do.
“Rahajeng rahina Saraswati!” - Happy Saraswati Day! May wisdom be in every human being.
Sun Island Bali Group operates the website www.sunislandbali.com, www.sunislandkuta.com, www.whiterosebali.com, www.sunislandboutiquevillas.com,www.sunislandlegian.com
- These Legal Notice of Online Sale apply to all reservations and purchases made online.
- The site enables users to reserve rooms and supplementary services in all Sun Island Bali hotels and villas property.
- The Guest confirms that he/she has read, understood and accepted these Terms and Conditions of Online Sale.
The Guest shall respect the below process:
- To find a hotel or a villa, to select a check-in and a check-out date, to select a room and rate;
- To select, when needed and/or available, additional services;
- To check the reservation details, the total price including taxes and the applicable hotel’s policies and sales conditions related to the selected rate;
- To inform the Guest details;
- To read, understand and accept the Terms and Conditions of Online Sale;
- To confirm the reservation;
- To Guarantee the reservation;
- To pay for the reservation (when requested only).
- The Guest reservation is subject to an acknowledgement of receipt by email.
- The email shall summarize the dates, the services reserved, the prices, the address of the hotel concerned, the hotel’s policies related to the selected rate.
- The Guest shall provide his/her bank details as a guarantee of the reservation using a valid credit card The Guest attests to the truth and accuracy of the information submitted for this reservation purposes.
- Each rate booked at Sun Island Bali Group property, is subject to a Cancellation Policy. Failure to check in on the reserved arrival date will incur a penalty charge as detailed in the Cancellation Policy.
- To process with the payment the Guest shall inform:
His/her credit card number;
Its expiration date;
Its card verification number (csv).
- The Guest attests to the truth and accuracy of the information submitted for this payment purposes.
- The confirmation of reservation constitutes an electronic signature equivalent in value to a physical signature between the parties. The Guest acknowledges and agrees that he/she has read, understood and accepted the sales conditions related to the selected rate.
This web site and the related web sites contained herein (collectively, the "Site") make available information on hotels, villas, and other transient stay facilities (each a "Property") owned, managed or franchised by Sun Island Bali.
In order to provide multiple access points to the services and products we offer, any one of these websites may ask for and collect personally identifiable information in order to enhance your experience and provide you with relevant information. Those websites, including:
- www.sunislandboutiquevillas.com, and
When using the Online Reservation and Online Registration you may be asked to provide a credit card number and its expiration date. Other information may be collected are: (i) reservation or information requests, (ii) purchasing products or services, (iii) responding to communications from us (e.g., surveys, promotional offers, or reservation confirmations), (iv) including collecting publicly available information from social networking web sites, We do not sell, rent or share any of your personal information with any other party including any third-party joint promoters, nor use it for unapproved commercial purposes.
You should be aware that information and data is automatically collected through the use of 'cookies' to obtain information about you while visiting our websites. A cookie is a very small text file that is sent to your browser from a web server and stored on your computer's hard drive. Sun Island Bali cookies assign your computer with a unique identifier, which in turn, becomes your identification card whenever you return to Sun Island Bali websites. These cookies are limited to Sun Island Bali websites only, and are not designed to follow you when traveling on the Internet and will not remember your email address.